Tuesday, November 10, 2015

Danger of a Single Story



I want to start off by saying how much I enjoyed this TED talk. Everything Adichie said was insightful and knowledgeable. I found myself wanting to hear more from her. Before watching the video I was not sure what the “danger of a single story” actually meant, and what the ‘danger” would be. However I know understand how it can be harmful. Incomplete stories become one story, which becomes the only story, and this can lead to stereotypes. Stereotypes create single stories because stereotypes are the idea that a group of people have one specific identity.  
I feel as though in the past youth had a single story. That they were just viewed as “kids”, however I believe their stories are becoming more multi-dimensional. There is now an understanding that every child is different. Youth have different needs and beliefs and we as Youth Workers need to recognize this and take into consideration the many stories youth have. There have been instances when I had the opportunity to hear the “other” stories for youth at my job. The kids are always growing and developing their identities and they are not tied down to one story.

          I have volunteered in classrooms where the teachers do not think certain students are capable and they believe they simply refuse to do the work because they just want to, but not realizing there may be more to it. It is very sad to see people who are supposed to be advocates for our youth, view them as single storied, and not as a never ending book. This is definitely something that I will keep in mind when I work with youth, and anyone for that matter.
Image result for youth identity

1 comment:

  1. I like how you speak about Youth having a single story about them. I totally agree with that. And to take it one step further, youth of different races had a single story about them as well.
    Great blog!

    ReplyDelete